Citizens' Disaster Council
The Citizens Disaster Council is an advisory committee mandated by the Town Code that meets on an as-needed basis, usually quarterly.
The duties of the Disaster Council are to develop and recommend emergency and mutual aid plans and agreements for adoption by the Town Council, as well as ordinances, resolutions, rules and regulations necessary to implement such plans and agreements. The Disaster Council is responsible for the development of the Town’s emergency plan, which provides for the effective mobilization of all of the resources of the town, both public and private, to meet any conditions constituting a local emergency, state of emergency, or state of war emergency, and provides for the organization, powers and duties, services and staff of the emergency organization. The plan is in effect upon adoption by resolution of the Town Council.
Meetings for the Citizens' Disaster Council occur periodically, with the next meeting date determined at the end of each meeting. Agendas are posted on the Town Hall Bulletin Board, the bulletin board outside the Women’s Club, and at the Post Office, 72 hours prior to the meeting date.
The current members of the Fairfax Citizens' Disaster Council are:
- Mayor of Fairfax
- Judy Anderson, Interim Town Manager
- Christopher Morin, Chief of Police
- Cynthia Powell, Community Services Officer, Fairfax Police Dept. (alternate)
- Roger Meagor, Ross Valley Fire Chief
- Craig Carroll, Ross Valley Fire Captain (alternate)
- Dennis Riley, Director of Student Services, Ross Valley School District
- Maria Baird, Community Resources Coordinator
- Margaret Miles, Fairfax Library Branch Manager
- Bob Wheeler, Disaster Specialist, Marin Red Cross
- Tessa Burns, Marin Red Cross (alternate)
- Emergency Services Coordinator, County of Marin OES
- Cindy Swift, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Jon Marchant, Marchant Chapman Realtors